Dealing with basic, yet, very important garage door maintenance problems regularly is the key to ensuring a safe and smooth operation. As a matter of fact, some maintenance tasks are common to all garage doors, while others pertain to only swing-out, swing-up or sectional doors.
Garage doors might seem like benign devices which slowly lumber up as well as down. But how could they hurt people? According to statistics, there were already 30,000 people who got injured related to garage doors in the United States alone.
- Clamp: use two Vise-Grip pliers or a pair of screw-type wooden clamp and then link them to the tracks of the roller in order to prevent the slamming down of your door.
- Deactivate: Unplug your door opener so it can’t turn on accidentally. This plug is often situated in the ceiling.
- Spring Safety: Unless it’s broken, a torsion spring will always be under tension. It is basically advised that most DIY enthusiasts leave their garage door spring work done by the experts like the Garage Doors Sydney service provider, because this can actually be very dangerous.
Usual to All Doors
- Every automatic door has an eye or the photoelectric sensor that stops the door from closing once the sensor beam is already blocked.
- Sensor will always be located on two sides of the door, near the floor and around the track area.
- Wipe down the sensors in order to get rid of the debris and dirt.
- Adjust the door sensors so the beam from the transmitting sensor reaches the receiving sensor. In addition to that, most modern garage doors usually have a green light on the transmitting sensor which will turn up once the beam has hit its target successfully.
- Lubricate the drive screw and chain with the use of a spray-on white lithium grease then, the motor turns the door up as well as down. The screw or chain transmits this power to your door.
- Examine the rubber weather-stripping at the bottom of your garage door. Treat it using the spray-on silicone to secure it. Replace the rubber weather-stripping if cracked or damaged.
Check and tighten the hardware part of the roller bracket, roller track and roller. Having said that, rollers do slide along the track of the roller. The roller bracket, on the other hand, attaches itself to the garage door. Lubricate every moving part using white lithium grease.
Almost all one-piece doors are usually lifted with the help of the very powerful and durable spring powered mechanisms which equalize the weight of your garage door. Don’t try to adjust the spring which balances the door’s weight. Moving parts are actually anchored on the doorframe and fixed parts are on the door jamb.
Spray white lithium grease onto the pivot points of the garage door but avoid the springs since this won’t help them move freely. Check also the springs to ensure that they’re not slipping off of the brackets or the brackets have not started to bend yet.
As long as it’s doing its job accordingly, your garage door more likely does not capture your attention just yet. However, the time it sticks midpoint, grinds up or down, refuses to open or close, or even worse, injures you or anyone else, then that is the time that it will become your priority. Addressing the basic needs of your garage doors for upkeep or maintenance will keep it performing in top condition and help you prevent costly service calls from the garage door professional service providers like Garage Doors Sydney.
Kinds of Garage Doors and their Advantages and Disadvantages
Like anything else in your home, garage doors come in a lot of different colors, shapes and materials. However, every door can be classified into one out of three basic opening techniques: those that swing out, those that roll up and those that swing up.
1. Swing-Up Door
A swing-up door, usually known as a canopy or overhead door, was considered the most famous type of door for decades until surpassed by the sectional doors. This single panel door tilts up and inward by the help of the torsion springs and then, tuck into the above space in your garage area,
- Less expensive compared to other kinds of doors.
- Less expensive maintenance since there are only a fewer moving parts such as tracks and wheels compared to the sectional door. Cables and torsion springs are relatively inexpensive and easy to replace. Since no tracks run through your garage, it is quite possible to make limited ceiling storage in between the narrow areas of your ceiling and garage door.
- Vehicles outside can’t be parked near the garage door. Cars that are mistakenly parked too near the swing-up door are at high risk for damage.
2. Sectional Doors
Sectional garage doors or commonly called roll-up doors are the most famous door nowadays. Between 3 and 8 solid sections move up on vertical tracks on your door frame. In addition to that, these tracks direct the sections upward then through the sharp curve.
- Door less likely to fall down accidentally on its own.
- Maximizes the width of your door because the outdoor vertical tracks that run upward the door frame. As a matter of fact, this provides your car with a much wider passageway in and out of your garage.
- Sectional doors can actually be expensive to maintain and install because there are a lot of moving parts inside. In particular, the tracks require to be kept lubricated and clean at all times.
- Lessens garage ceiling storage area because of the supporting brackets that connect to your ceiling
3. Swing-Out Doors
A side-hinged door maximizes the retro or traditional look because a wooden carriage-style door fits into this category. This type of door is less popular compared to other kinds of doors.
- Side-hinged doors rarely malfunction since they only have few moving parts. Latches and hinges are the only moving parts involved.
- Side-swinging doors need you to exit your car and operate them manually. If you’re concerned about the security, this might not be a choice for you.
A lot of people are still probably using the garage door opener which was built when they first constructed their homes. If this sounds familiar to you, your local professional and well-established garage door opener installation company can help you avail more of its advantages in upgrading. The following are the reasons why upgrading your garage door opener is very important:
1. Noisy Operation
The older the garage door opener you have, the more noise it is going to product. Newer garage door openers offer a quiet operation as well as do not cause a rattling sound. After a while, as a matter of fact, all those rattling sound does more than annoy you. Actually, it is actually the main cause of problems which need garage door repair. Upgrading your old garage door opener to a new one with the help of Merlin Garage Door Repairs service provider is usually a win-win situation since you protect your garage door openers from the rising costly issues.
2. Safety Issues
An old-model garage door opener can actually be hacked by tech-savvy individuals. It is because older garage door openers are not equipped with the recent safety technology. Having said that, newer garage doors have rolling codes which make it more difficult for burglars to penetrate. In new garage door openers, on the other hand, the rolling codes change every time the garage door is being opened. If you are worried about your safety and do not want your properties stolen or your family members put at high risk, do not put off on hiring a professional and experience garage door installation service provider. You may contact them as soon as you see the problem in order determine more about the most recent safety features.
A newer and fresher garage door opener features a lot of exciting smart and technology characteristics. One feature which homeowners want is the actual or live video feed. If robbers or burglars want to penetrate your house, they do not often break a window immediately. They will first find the points of entry which are not locked in the first place.
That means that they will really spend their time walking around your home trying doors, and also, that will definitely include your garage door. Furthermore, smart garage door openers actually have a video security camera feature built-in which allows you to see what goes on. Even if the burglars get inside your house, still the footage from the video is a good tool for the authorities to use in order to locate the robbers.
Aside from that, another security feature is basically the locking feature. Have you experienced the time when you have already left your home and not having to remember if you closed your garage door or not? It has happened to everybody sometimes. Smart garage door openers allow you to check if they’re closed from your tablet or smartphone. If your door is left open, smart garage doors has this feature to shut the door.