Dealing with basic, yet, very important garage door maintenance problems regularly is the key to ensuring a safe and smooth operation. As a matter of fact, some maintenance tasks are common to all garage doors, while others pertain to only swing-out, swing-up or sectional doors.
Garage doors might seem like benign devices which slowly lumber up as well as down. But how could they hurt people? According to statistics, there were already 30,000 people who got injured related to garage doors in the United States alone.
- Clamp: use two Vise-Grip pliers or a pair of screw-type wooden clamp and then link them to the tracks of the roller in order to prevent the slamming down of your door.
- Deactivate: Unplug your door opener so it can’t turn on accidentally. This plug is often situated in the ceiling.
- Spring Safety: Unless it’s broken, a torsion spring will always be under tension. It is basically advised that most DIY enthusiasts leave their garage door spring work done by the experts like the Garage Doors Sydney service provider, because this can actually be very dangerous.
Usual to All Doors
- Every automatic door has an eye or the photoelectric sensor that stops the door from closing once the sensor beam is already blocked.
- Sensor will always be located on two sides of the door, near the floor and around the track area.
- Wipe down the sensors in order to get rid of the debris and dirt.
- Adjust the door sensors so the beam from the transmitting sensor reaches the receiving sensor. In addition to that, most modern garage doors usually have a green light on the transmitting sensor which will turn up once the beam has hit its target successfully.
- Lubricate the drive screw and chain with the use of a spray-on white lithium grease then, the motor turns the door up as well as down. The screw or chain transmits this power to your door.
- Examine the rubber weather-stripping at the bottom of your garage door. Treat it using the spray-on silicone to secure it. Replace the rubber weather-stripping if cracked or damaged.
Check and tighten the hardware part of the roller bracket, roller track and roller. Having said that, rollers do slide along the track of the roller. The roller bracket, on the other hand, attaches itself to the garage door. Lubricate every moving part using white lithium grease.
Almost all one-piece doors are usually lifted with the help of the very powerful and durable spring powered mechanisms which equalize the weight of your garage door. Don’t try to adjust the spring which balances the door’s weight. Moving parts are actually anchored on the doorframe and fixed parts are on the door jamb.
Spray white lithium grease onto the pivot points of the garage door but avoid the springs since this won’t help them move freely. Check also the springs to ensure that they’re not slipping off of the brackets or the brackets have not started to bend yet.